Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sassy Louise

Today was a bad day. Like, the worst day I've had in a LONG time. I had to put my sweet, loving baby to sleep. I KNOW she was just a dog, but she was my BABY. Being that I got her when I was 18, she's the one who taught me to love and care for someone BESIDES myself. I feel like I lost a part of myself when I had to get her put to sleep. She has had a rough year this year. Lots of health problems. The last couple of weeks were the worst. She was pathetic. We were at the vet every single day for 2 weeks. Her doctors were AMAZING, as were her nurses. They tried everything possible, but her little body had just had all it could take, and was shutting down. I knew today would be her last appointment. After Addie fell asleep, Sassy wouldn't come out of the bathroom (where her bed was). So, Sassy and I spent all night on the bathroom floor together. I loved on her, and told her how much she meant to me. When we got up the next morning, I was explaining to Addie that we had to take Sassy back to the vet again because she was very sick still, and that she probably wouldn't be coming back home with us. Addie ran and grabbed Sassy's favorite blanket, then grabbed her own favorite stuffed animal, and told me we should take them because they'd help her feel better. She then asked me if I would take a picture of them before we left. Poor Sassy could barely hold open her eyes, but OH how I will treasure this sweet picture for the rest of my life. My two babies.

Sassy Louise
1/23/2002 - 6/20/2012

3 comments:

  1. I just now saw this post. Made me cry. But what a sweet last night you had with Sassy Louise. And Addie already knows and understands empathy for another living creature and her response to wanting to comfort Sassy was so dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you'll have to change your profile from sweet home Alabama to the Music City!

    ReplyDelete